Responsible event management – 7 tips
How can events be organized as sustainably as possible? We've put together 7 tips for your sustainable event planning:
1) Sustainability already ought to be a key consideration in the planning phase, so that opportunities for a reduced carbon footprint can be identified and exploited in good time. When an event is over, it's time to take stock so that the experience gained can be directly put to use in the next project. Sustainability concepts can thus be continuously refined and optimized.
2) In order to make your event as resource-efficient as possible, when it comes to selecting your partners and service providers, you should pay attention to their experience in the field of sustainable event management and trade fair business. For example, consciously go for local service providers in the interests of reducing transport-related emissions.
3) Stand construction and design: Modern, sustainable trade fair stands are designed to provide many years of use. This not only saves costs, but also contributes to less waste being produced. When designing the stands, there are a good few levers that enable re-use of the structural elements. Use rental furniture, for example, and – if really needed – reusable floor coverings or repurposed, recyclable materials for the signage and decoration of your stand.
System stands are basically more sustainable, but individual stands, too, can be designed to be modular, flexible and durable nowadays. A number of companies already employ holistic event concepts that can serve as models for others. Get inspired and decide what suits you best and what pace you want to go at. In any case, every step and every measure counts.
4) Communication and advertising: The topic of advertising is very closely linked to stand construction. Digital signage instead of printed advertising banners, design elements made of environmentally friendly fabrics and, of course, generally less paper and plastic – all these things can be put into practice on the stand itself but also during the advance marketing of an event and in live communication with sustainability in mind. When it comes to the advertising media for your event, simply omitting specific dates or years automatically means they can be reused at a later point in time. Regionally produced giveaways made from sustainable materials are available as well nowadays.
5) Catering: Our catering partner Aramark has made the topic of sustainability a priority consideration since as far back as the 1990s, ranging from waste management and recycling programs to the use of fair-trade coffee, MSC-certified fish, organic products and generally more plant-based dishes. Benefit from Aramark's professional expertise and clue yourself in on its sustainability strategy .
6) Arrival and departure: Encourage your guests to travel to your event by public transport or in organized carpools. The Hannover Exhibition Center has excellent central connections for guests from all over the world. Barrier-free access allows people with mobility constraints to move around our exhibition grounds comfortably and without requiring assistance.
7) Besides the various climate-oriented measures, the topic of social responsibility, for example towards your stand personnel, is also of great importance. Good working conditions, fair pay and adequate break times are examples in this context.
We are pleased that you are supporting us on our way to a being a carbon-neutral event business! If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to contact our Fair2Future project manager